This granola is one of our most popular dishes at the Smile. The trick is to cook it at a low temperature and stir the mixture often so that the oats get evenly crisp and golden. We serve it over Greek yogurt with chopped dried figs and dates, for a hint of North African flavor.
6 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups raw almonds, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups raw pecans, roughly chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
6 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Plain Greek yogurt or milk, for serving
Chopped dried dates, for topping
Chopped dried figs, for topping
Fresh berries, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, oil, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, and salt and mix well.
3. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets in as even a layer as possible.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, then stir very well. Continue to bake, stirring every 30 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crisp, about 2 hours total.
5. Let cool completely; the oats should feel completely dry and crisp. Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
6. Serve over Greek yogurt or with milk. Top with dates, figs, and fresh berries. Makes about 10 cups.